March Madness

My March Maintenance Madness continues……  I’m sore and exhausted today after another marathon day of fixing the boat yesterday. I’ve got so much accomplished already, though still just the tip of the iceberg. The picture above is the steering mechanism. The rudder was loose last year so I had to tighten the steering cables. That in itself is easy. The tough part was tearing out everything just to get at it. You sailors out there know exactly what I mean. Everything in a boat is always in the worst possible place it can be. It’s intentionally designed that way.

In the same picture above you can see the openings in the hull. I’ve since installed the bronze thru-hull fittings. Also, as you the drain hoses are dirty and moldy. Those are being replaced before Galatea gets launched….. on the to do list.

Work on the cabin roof is still going on. This picture is with the base to the dorade box removed. Yesterday I finished repairing both of them. It took a couple of weeks because I had to apply adhesive caulking in several steps, wait for areas to dry before proceeding. The good news is that I’m ready to re-install the headliner.

The bad news is that I have to re-install the headliner. Actually, the bad news is that I have to do all the work to replace the vinyl covering to the headliner boards. It’s a pain. Like everything else. The picture above shows two of the headliner boards on my workbench at home. The one flat on the bench, I’m in the process of removing the vinyl covering. The upright board is already done. The before and after look. This week I plan on covering the boards with the new vinyl.

The plan is to remove all the vinyl and carpeting in the boat this year and replace it with the new vinyl I mentioned for the headliner.  Janet and I picked out an off white color that will match nicely with the new cushions.

The carpeting was the worst of all. It was crudy. That’s a real word meaning, old, dirty, and moldy. Simply disgusting. Every year, I attacked it with cans of lysol.  But it never worked. It still smelled. I would describe it as “it smelled like an old boat”.

The picture above is of the forward cabin. The carpeting covers the hull. Below is the after shot with the carpeting removed.

Unfortunately, the foam backing didn’t pull off. It stayed on the hull with the original adhesive that was used. If you look carefully you’ll see the mold spots covering the foam. So, there was no question that the foam had to come off. The problem, however, was that there was no way to pull or scrape the foam off. It was stuck to the adhesive…….. if this wasn’t a family blog I’d be giving you some choice words to describe the pain it was to remove that foam. I ended up using an electric drill with a paint grinder. I turned that foam and glue into dust as I ground it away. When I was finished I was covered head to toe in the yellow foam dust. I wondered what kind of sight I was to the other guys in the boat yard as I went outside in front of the boat to dust myself off. All the while I had to keep telling myself it would all be worth it someday this summer when I’ll be kicking my feet up with a gin and tonic and watching the sunset in some quiet cove somewhere…….

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.