Another step forward in the outboard repair project

  I finished working on the lower unit of my outboard Merc 3.3 hp engine. As stated in previous blogs, the engine was lost at sea and then recovered. Though, filled with sand.

  The picture above shows the lower unit clamped next to the engine on my home made stand. If you look closely you’ll see all the sand still inside the unit.

 I cleaned the sand from inside and out of the lower unit. Pulling off the pump housing and cleaning it and the base plate thoroughly. The impeller itself was caked with sand but was still in good shape. So, I just cleaned it up, applied grease and re-installed it.

  Next, I removed the propeller shaft and clutch assembly to inspect it. This part of the engine is sealed well, but, every other piece of the engine was covered with sand so I thought the prudent thing to do was pull it apart and inspect it. It was good. So, I just put it back together and now all it needs is the gear lube.

  Re-attaching the lower unit to the engine proved to be the most difficult task. That’s the polite way to say pain in the ass. There are three pieces that need to re-attached; the drive shaft, the water tube, and the shift shaft. The drive shaft is actually part of the lower unit, it connects back to the engine. It takes a bit of a trick to line up the grooves at the top of the shaft with the engine, but thats the easy part. Once the drive shaft grooves are lined up then you have to push it in while trying to line up the water tube hanging down in the engine body with the opening in the pump housing of the lower unit. A professional could probably do it in 5 minutes. I think it took me about a half an hour to accomplish it. Then, after thats done, connecting the shift shaft from the engine through the circular opening in the body of the engine was the last task. It wasn’t easy either. I finally managed it after 15 – 20 minutes.

  It was all a learning experience. Next time I do it, it will take me half the amount of time.

  I finished up the lower unit by bolting it back onto the body of the engine and touching up the scrapes and dents with black enamel paint. It actually looks pretty good, almost brand new.

 The next step in the engine repair project will be the disassembly of the carburator. I anticipate this to be the most difficult part of the project. You can see the carburator in the picture above. It’s the grey metal piece in the front of the engine.  The reason I think this will be the toughest job is because there are a lot of small parts, especially springs and pins inside that carburator. I need to do a lot a reading in the shop manual before I tackle it. By the way, I should mention that I’m using the Seloc shop manual for Mercury 2 stroke outboards. It’s an excellent manual, I recomend anyone doing these kind of repairs or maintenance get this book.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.