Propeller Blues

The summer of 2013 was one of the worst years in memory for marine growth. The propeller and shaft of Galatea were so badly fouled by August 1st,  I couldn’t get over 4 knots while motoring at full throttle. The picture above doesn’t do justice to how really bad the prop and shaft was fouled.

This spring I went to work on getting the prop ready for sea. The first thing I do is strip the off the growth, down to the brass.

What I find works best is a paint stripper wheel with my electric drill.

This year I’m trying something different for the anti-fouling. Every year I’ve own the boat, I’ve always used hard epoxy paint. Applying three coats before launch. This year I decided to try something different. I used Petit Barnacle Barrier spray paint. Spraying four coats.

The final product above. Hopefully this works. I’ll let you know when the boat comes out of the water in the Fall.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.